Blog Post by Laurie Davis
“This morning as I was removing the seed from the black cherries, I basked in the Lord. I was thinking about how I need to be spending so much more time in the word. As I removed a seed from the cherry it ricocheted off a lamp post and landed on the Bible. Wow! Then I was reminded that his word is the lamp post and his word is the seed”.
Most people expect God’s Word to work like a stick of dynamite — but God’s Word is like a seed. We know because of what Jesus said. LUKE 8:11 NKJ11 “Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God. The Holy Spirit, through Peter, also said God’s Word is a seed. 1 PETER 1:23 NKJ “23 having been born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible, through the word of God which lives and abides forever,” God’s Word is alive. Just like a seed — the Bible is full of unseen life.
[click_to_tweet tweet=”JOHN 6:63 NKJ 63 ‘It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.” quote=”JOHN 6:63 NKJ 63 ‘It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.” theme=”style6″]
Jesus said His words are alive. They contain life. The words in your Bible may look lifeless and powerless. Seeds do, too. But they are not without life or power. In Mark 4:30-31, Jesus explained that the kingdom of God works like a seed. So, if we are to understand God’s kingdom and how He operates, we need to understand seeds.
Seeds do not grow sitting in a sack on your shelf. They must be planted in the proper place. If you desire the Word of God to produce in your life, you must decide to plant the Word in your heart and mind.
The best way to plant the seed of God’s Word in your life is by speaking the Word. Hearing others speak the Word is good — but will not produce as bountiful a harvest as speaking the Word yourself. Speaking God’s Word with your mouth is essential. As we speak God’s Word we are planting the seed in our heart for the harvest of results we desire.
ROMANS 10:10 NKJ 10 For with the heart one believes to righteousness and with the mouth confession is made to salvation. Whatever you need to be saved or delivered from, confession (what you say) is essential.
- A seed is much smaller than the plant it produces. The problem you face may seem huge. In comparison, a scripture may seem very small. But when planted, that Word will grow in you and overcome the problem.
- A seed always produces after its kind. GALATIANS 6:7 NKJ 7 Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. Whatever you need, or desire, find scriptures relating to that. Then plant those scriptures inside you in abundance. Those seeds will grow up and produce a harvest of what you need or desire.A seed is powerful.
- As a seed begins to grow, it will push up dirt, rocks, etc. Whatever the obstacles are, God’s Word planted in your heart will push them out of the way.
- A seed begins its growth in secret (underground). The only way to tell if a seed is growing is to dig it up or wait for a plant to appear. If you dig up a seed, you may kill it. A seed takes time to produce.
[click_to_tweet tweet=”‘No one expects a seed to produce a harvest the same day that seed is planted. Sometimes the Word of God seems to spring up and bear fruit immediately.'” quote=”‘No one expects a seed to produce a harvest the same day that seed is planted. Sometimes the Word of God seems to spring up and bear fruit immediately.'” theme=”style6″]
No one expects a seed to produce a harvest the same day that seed is planted. Sometimes the Word of God seems to spring up and bear fruit immediately.Yet, if we knew the details, we would understand that the fruit of the Word grew in that person’s life over time.
- A seed is persistent. A seed never gives up but works day and night. Even when you are sleeping, the seed you have planted is working to grow and express itself in a fruitful harvest.
- A seed is not affected by other seeds. Whatever happens to other seeds does not make any difference to a specific seed. Each seed sticks to its own task. One wheat seed planted in a cornfield will still produce wheat.
- A seed does not become discouraged, or quit, even if other seeds die.
- A seed will stop growing without nourishment. Planting a seed is not enough to assure a harvest.
- A seed must be protected and taken care of until harvest time.
- A seed which is dug up or not watered, will not produce.
More seeds planted produce a larger harvest as stated in 2 CORINTHIANS 9:6 NKJ 6 But this I say: He who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Think about these truths about seeds as you allow the Holy Spirit to help you apply them to the role of God’s Word in your life.
Thank you that You are the implanted word in my life! I surrender to the process of seed-becoming fruit in my life. I will water it with your Word and you have promised to bring the increase. In Jesus’ name. AMEN.
#heartsmatter | www.cumi.live
Office: 251.241.9899 | Counseling: 774.567.0771